The UNIVERSIDADE DE PERNAMBUCO - UPE had its origin in the Pernambuco Higher Education Foundation - FESP, which has maintained, since 1965, a group of pre-existing Higher Education Units in the State. In 1990, FESP is extinguished and, finally, the University of Pernambuco - UPE appears, an institution of public law, instituted by State Law No. 10,518 on November 29, 1990 and recognized through ordinance No. 964, of June 12 of 1991, from the Ministry of Education, being linked to the Secretariat of Science and Technology of the State of Pernambuco. The UPE has a multi-campi structure, composed of teaching units (metropolitan region of Recife and several cities in the interior of Pernambuco) and teaching and health units in Recife / PE.
The Institute of Biological Sciences - ICB was founded on January 30, 1976 and promotes the basic teaching of undergraduate courses in the field of Health, being the gateway to the University of Pernambuco for students entering Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing and Physical Education. In 2000, the Bachelor's Degree in Biological Sciences was created to train professionals in the emphases of: Parasitic Biology, Biotechnology and Environmental Biology.
Postgraduate and scientific production activities are extremely important within the scope of the ICB as well as for the advancement and consolidation of the UPE, as a university. The Institute of Biological Sciences has consolidated itself throughout its existence as an important institution of higher education, training specialized human resources, through the offer of its undergraduate and graduate Lato sensu courses. In July 2007, CAPES recommended the Stricto sensu postgraduate course, master's degree, in Cellular and Molecular Biology, with concept 3, according to Ministerial Decree No. 2265, of December 19, 2007.
The course has as its general objective: to train professionals in the area of Biological Sciences and the like, aiming at the production and dissemination of scientific knowledge related to the study and application of new technologies, which allow to characterize new knowledge in basic research and its use in different approaches, such as for example, in studies in the area of evolution, biotechnological and health applications. The teaching and research activities of the course started in March 2008.
PROFILE OF EGRESS
the graduate program in Applied Cellular and Molecular Biology has focused on training human resources to act as teachers / researchers in public and private educational and technological institutions, highlighting as their main competences and skills:
• Domain of the state of the art of its theme and understanding in Cellular and Molecular Biology, power of argument and support of its ideas among its peers and in other fields of knowledge, aiming at the construction of partnerships or networks of production of scientific knowledge;
• In-depth knowledge in the field of Cellular and Molecular Biology that enable the performance of excellence in the development of projects and in professional activities that require mastery in these areas, as well as their biotechnological and innovation applications;
• Exercise of the educational process collaborating in the formation of new professionals and researchers with a critical-reflexive vision through the guidance / co-orientation of undergraduate and graduate students, in the development of research projects;
• Competence in knowledge of molecular methods such as: handling of tissues, cells, experimental models, nucleic acids, proteins, lipids, genome analysis, identification of genes, etc;
• Knowledge of technologies that allow immobilization of biological materials, aiming at technological innovation in the creation of processes applicable in areas of health and environment.
About the graduate program
The Stricto sensu masters and doctoral graduate program at the Institute of Biological Sciences in Applied Cell and Molecular Biology aims to contribute to the training of human resources with the capacity and mastery of the state of the art of their subject; with the power to argue and support their ideas among their peers and other fields of knowledge in order to build partnerships or networks for the production of scientific knowledge; and in-depth knowledge in the field of cellular and molecular biology that enable excellence in the development of projects and in professional activities that require mastery in these areas, as well as their biotechnological applications.